DAPI (diamidino-2-phenylindole) is a blue fluorescent probe that fluoresces brightly upon selectively binding to the minor groove of double stranded DNA, where its fluorescence is approximately 20-fold greater than in the nonbound state. Its selectivity for DNA and high cell permeability allows efficient staining of nuclei with little background from the cytoplasm. DAPI is a classic nuclear counterstain for immunofluorescence microscopy, as well as an important component of high-content screening methods requiring cell-based quantitation of DNA content.
Features of DAPI Nuclear Counterstain:
• DAPI dye—diamidino-2-phenylindole is a blue fluorescent stain specific for DNA
• Convenient—choose powder or easy-to-use DAPI dye solution (1 mg/mL)
• Cellular imaging—cell-permeable dye is effective for fixed-cell staining and quantitation of DNA content
• Counterstain—ideal for use alongside detection of specific targets with fluorescent antibodies for fluorescence microscopy or high-content screening (HCS)
Properties of DAPI Fluorescent Dye:
|Alternative names:||DAPI Stain, DAPI Dye, DNA Content Counterstain|
|Chemical name(s):||4,6′-diamidino-2-phenylindole, dihydrochloride; 4′,6-diamidine-2-phenyl indole; 2-(4-Amidinophenyl)-6-indolecarbamidine dihydrochloride|
|Excitation wavelength:||341±3 nm (near 360 nm when bound to dsDNA)|
|Emission wavelength:||452±3 nm (456 to 460 nm when bound to dsDNA)|
|Extinction coefficient:||>30,600/M cm at 347 nm in methanol|
|Solubility:||>1 mg/mL in water; compound is soluble in DMF, water and various non-phosphate aqueous buffers|
|Reactive groups:||None; binds to minor groove of double-stranded DNA|
Applications for DAPI Stain
• Assaying DNA in solution
• Diagnosing mycoplasmal infection of cell cultures
• Measuring nuclear content and sorting chromosomes in flow cytometry
• Assessing apoptosis
• Detecting nuclei and organellar DNA in immunofluorescent and in situ hybridization procedures
• Replacing ethidium bromide for staining DNA in agarose gels
• Counterstaining nuclei in histochemical methods when red-fluorescent antibodies have been used to detect specific targets
• Reports also indicate that DAPI will bind to polyphosphates and other polyanions , dextran sulfate and SDS
1mL ; 2*1mL
Store DAPI solution (1 mg/mL) at 2-8°C protected from light.
Celltechgen provides high-quality reagents and materials for research use only. For proper handling of potentially hazardous chemicals, please request the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) provided for the product.
There are no reviews yet.